Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Best Day Job in the Universe - Last Post

Thanks for letting me share my day job with you. It truly is a unique experience. For a final post, I thought I'd share some photos with you. And if you are ever in Utah, please let me know. I'd be happy to give you a taste of what I do.

Our classroom, where the science magic happens. Not the fictional futuristic kind, just the real stuff that we are discovering every day.
Our old planetarium. I don't have pictures of the new one yet. This StarLab system worked great for a decade, but technology moves on. The old "tin can with holes" projector just doesn't cut it. Our new one, fully digital, is from Digitalis and features all sorts of nifty features. I love my new toy...
Looking forward on the Odyssey bridge. This is the simulator I fly. It looks better in real life.
The Voyager bridge. It's hard to believe this simulator is twenty years old. Thousands of children and adults have fought pirate invaders, Klingons, and Romulans from this bridge. This set has seen tears of anger and sorrow, moments of panic and elation, devious diplomatic dealings, and every other human emotion. It's incredible what one person with a vision can bring to pass. The space center would not exist without my boss, Victor Williamson. He is the heart and soul of the center.

Thanks for letting me share. If you want more, check out the website or the blog.

3 comments:

  1. Mega cool! I want to come to camp! I will definitely let you know when I'm in Utah. You've definitely got the best day job in the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So amazing, Jaleta. I can just picture the crewmembers manning those consoles.

    Thanks for a fabulous series about The Besdt Day Job in the Universe.

    And I still say... roadtrip! Maybe we can try to arrange a visit by some of the Brigade in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to have you stop by. Give me enough advance notice and I'll finagle a mission for you, too. (I'm the office imp during the school year and do all the scheduling.)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! Comments must pass moderation to be published. Spam will be deleted.

SFR Brigade Bases of Operation