Saturday, February 19, 2011

Woohoo! Firefly News!

From Inside TV:

'Firefly' returning to cable; Fillion says he'll play Mal again--EXCLUSIVE

From BigShinyRobot:

Firefly Changes Owners; New Episodes Possible?

It's not quite the squeeable news the title suggests, but very exciting all the same.  Firely will be returning to the Science channel on March 6 in high definition with two episodes, followed by all the episodes--in the order they were intended--on following Sundays. Plus some "new material" including commentary by Dr. Michio Kaku on the science of Firefly. 

And be sure to read the article for Nathan Fillion's answers to questions posed by Inside TV.  (Yes!  He says "Yes.")

There have been many articles written in the past how Firefly got it right.  Using the premise that Earth was abandoned in the not-too-distant future for a nearby (relatively speaking) solar system with many planets and hundreds of moons, it avoided the common theoretical problems of "galloping around the universe" popular in most other SF fims and TV shows.  The characters speak a combination of English, Chinese (the other superpower of the age--totally within the realm of believability in our current society), with futuristic slang phrasing that's both entertaining and fresh.  (i.e. "You're starting to damage my calm.") The ships in the series also moved through space realistically--without sound and without aerodynamic effects such as banking and executing intricate maneuvers in a vacuum without the use of retros.

If you're one of the handful who missed it the first time (or via DVD), I highly recommend Firefly as a study for any SFR writer!

Come on, Brigaders.  Let's celebrate!  Ante up in the comments with your favorite Firefly scene, phrase, character or element.

12 comments:

  1. That is awesome news!!!!!!

    *eyes the exclamation points* maybe I need a few more?

    Firefly is excellent. I saw serenity in theatres and FELL IN LOVE. I've since watched Firefly on DVD. Can't say enough good things about this show.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. New episodes!?!??!

    You've absolutely made my day.

    Even re-running the first round episodes will be worth watching again.

    Of course, we have Serenity on BluRay and watched it again just a couple of months ago.

    Did you catch the Castle episode where Rick (Nathan) speaks Chinese and Becket asked him about it. He said something like, "Learned it from a TV show I liked."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marva, Yes! That made me ROFL! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best. News. EVER!
    I can't even describe my love of Firefly/Serenity (and most things Joss Whedon. The man is a genius!) I was so desperate for more I even brought the graphic novels.
    Now I'm going to try not to let my hopes get too high, coz I don't want to be disappointed if nothing comes of this. But Firefly is legendary and the Science Channel couldn't go wrong by doing new eps.
    Oh, and did you also see that Halloween ep of Castle where he walks out dressed up as Mal and his daughter says "what are you supposed to be?" And he says "Space cowboy!" Then Alexa (sp?) says "Dad, there's no cows in space."
    LMAO at that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! No cows in space? I seem to remember a cargo hold full of 'em. :)

    Thanks for the reminder, Jess! I'd forgotten that so very Fireflyesque Castle scene.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so SO excited about this! Something on TV to look forward to. Other than Dr WHO, TV has been so bland without Firefly, Buffy or Angel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful news! I sure hope the new episode thing turns out to be true. Wouldn't that make my year?

    I love the characterization, the visuals and the dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melisse, aside from Defying Gravity, which was even shorter lived than Firefly, I totally agree.

    Anna, I think that would make my year, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved Mal but I loved Jane, too. We often spout "Jane-isms" in my house.

    "I'm no good with words. Don't use 'em much, myself."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, Jayne is sort of a mercenary anti-hero but you just have to love the guy. Good man to have at your back in a fight, too.

    A couple of my fave Jayne scenes:

    [Mal pulls a secret handle on a bank vault. The floor retracts revealing a staircase.]
    Mal: We're coming down to empty this vault.
    Vault Guard: You'll need to give me your authorization password.
    [Jayne fires an extended burst from his rifle into the floor.]
    Vault Guard: OK.

    [Jayne proudly wears his mother's hideous home-knit cap.]
    Jayne: How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
    Kaylee: I think it's the sweetest hat ever.
    Wash: A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.
    Jayne: Damn straight!


    [Zoƫ and Mal open a coffin-sized box to find a body. Jayne peers in.]
    Jayne: What'd y'all order a dead guy for?


    And while discussing crazed space cannibal Reevers, this line's a classic:
    Jayne: I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm getting paid. Mostly when I'm getting paid. But eating people alive? Where's that get fun?

    I heart Firefly dialogue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! This is AWESOME. A new Firefly movement, just like the site name implies...

    http://helpnathanbuyfirefly.com/

    Nathan Fillion stated in an interview with Entertainment Weekly on February 17th that if he had the money he would buy the rights to Firefly, make it his own, and distribute it on the internet. Woohoo! Brigaders, Skiffy Rommers and Browncoats unite. We can change the 'verse.

    I posted this on Twitter. Let's get the word out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd watch Nathan Fillion in anything. For now, I'm a fan of Castle and hope that will be on TV for many more seasons.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! Comments must pass moderation to be published. Spam will be deleted.

SFR Brigade Bases of Operation