Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Aliens Before Us

Well, I finally got to watch INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL.  I'd heard so many negative reviews that I expected to be disappointed.  Dang it all, I like it!  I've always been fascinated by stories of *ancient aliens,* the kind which might've helped out the Egyptians and stuff.  So, this one was right up my alley.  Plus, George Lucus didn't try to make Harrison Ford be an old guy trying to be young, which would've been silly.  He embraced the maturing Indy who was convincing as a father of a twentysomething year old.
.
Unlike Brendon Frasure in THE MUMMY TOMB OF THE DRAGON EMPEROR who was just too young to pull it off, which ought to be a compliment for him!  It's all about movie-going demographics.  The powers-that-be thought maybe Brendon Frasure was getting too old to pull off the action hero thing all by himself anymore and they gotta snag the male 18-39 crowd.  Well, they were wrong and it didn't work.
.
I think the difference is George Lucus really is an older guy and he seems to be okay with that.  Say what you will about the STAR WARS prequels, but the guy didn't get to be a mulit-billionaire from being stupid.
.
I loved the part at the end of the movie when Indy's son picks up Indy's hat and almost puts it on, but Indy snatches it away and puts it back on his own head.  Very cool.
.
What has this got to do with Science Fiction Romance?  Indy reunites with his true love, Marian (spelled right?), which was wonderful because two beloved characters got their HEA. 

5 comments:

  1. I loved it too, Kimber An. Ancient aliens definately trip my interest. But you're right, the big plus was the HEA. Marian rules.

    ~Frances

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't disappointed either. Though the new installment didn't have quite the same sparkle as the original, it was much better than Temple of Doom, IMHO. And I agree--that hat snatch was a classic. There were several well done sight gags in the story, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't like Temple of Doom at all. I think Last Crusade will always be my favorite though. Harrison Ford and Sean Connery together was just phenomenal!

    Junior! Dad! Junior! Dad!

    "I'm as human as the next man."

    "I was the next man, Dad!"

    Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been hesitant about watching the movie. My hubby went and said he didn't like it, but I think I'll go rent it and make my own opinion instead. Thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You may be surprised, Laura. It's tough making a series, because some readers/viewers hate for characters to change too much while others demand it. Also, as viewers/readers mature, some tastes change and others don't. For example, I'm one of the only Star Wars fans over 40 I know who LOVVEED Jar-Jar from the prequels. Loved him. Why? 'Cause he was designed to appeal to children and I am extremely child-centered (former nanny, mother of four, deliberately). There are some readers/viewers who hate series anyway. I love them. I love to watch characters grow (maternal instinct, you know) and change. I become emotionally attached and hate to let go. This is why it was good for me that Indy and Marian got their HEA too. If this was the last Indiana Jones movie, I *needed* to know he was going to die happily cuddled up in the porch swing with his true love, surrounded by his grandchildren and a really good dog.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! Comments must pass moderation to be published. Spam will be deleted.

SFR Brigade Bases of Operation